Friday 24 August 2012

Befriending

A lot of my thoughts and conversations have been based on friendships lately. Not bitching and moaning about people but the simple divide between healthy and unhealthy relationships. And whether the fight is more important than the friendship.

I have fallen out with people for many stupid reasons. Because I've felt abandoned, because my insecurities told me they preferred my friend, because they forgot to return a jumper they borrowed. All reasons, that in the grand scheme of things, mean absolutely nothing. But, a sensible devotional told me yesterday, you should always ask yourself whether you want to 'prove, or improve'.

IE. Do you care enough about the relationship to talk things through, to have an uncomfortable conversation. Or is proving your right (then most probably bitching about the person for the rest of forever) enough?

There are some relationships I haven't chosen to save. The ones that the Lord most probably deems unhealthy and hasn't prompted me too. But, on the flip side, I have formed strong attachments to people I have known for years, but never really known. My circle of friends have changed from one of moaning and complaining to one where we help each other and encourage, ironically, this circle contains a lot of the same people, but my change of attitude, my obedience, has prompted them to do the same. All in all, we're a much happier bunch, though there is still plenty of cake.

I firmly believe that spreading the word of Christ will create a happier community, a stronger sea of friendships and, eventually, a peaceful world. Anger and conflict, in the simple sense of falling out with a friend to the greater result of countries falling out with other countries is not God's plan. In fact, he tells us this is wrong;

'Be angry and do not sin; do not let the sun go down on your anger' Ephesians 4:26

PS. Whilst writing this I have got very angry at the dog. He's trotted around the living room sticking his big snout in the babies face and barking at the tree outside. But, one deep breath later, I have decided I do love him and called him over for some attention. He's now calmly laying in his bed. Even animals appreciate this logic.

2 comments:

  1. You speak wise words Mrs, and are very right. There does need to be a little more cake though x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am really enjoying your blog.. I love your honesty!

    ReplyDelete