Tuesday 17 July 2012

Being told.

Today, 48 hours in to Christian-hood, I was praying for God to help me be a better person, a better friend and an all round 'nice person'. The word Jeremiah kept popping into my head, closely followed by the number 17. Did this mean anything to me? No. Not at all. As far as I knew Jeremiah was a man, probably with a beard, who drove tractors and talked about hay. He may, or may not be Amish. I certainly didn't realise it was a book in the Bible. Though this would make more sense.

After a little research and a lengthy phone conversation I was lead to this passage;

'"For I know the plans I have for you" declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future"' Jeremiah 29:11

I liked this. But couldn't quite understand how it related to being a good friend. Plus, the number 17 was following me round, interrupting my healthy McDonald's lunch and distracting me from important notebook buying.

17. It's not even a nice number. Not like 12.

Through further discussion with a very good, very Christian lady. I discovered this.

'“But blessed is the one who trusts in the Lord, whose confidence is in him. They will be like a tree planted by the water that sends out its roots by the stream.
It does not fear when heat comes; its leaves are always green.
It has no worries in a year of drought and never fails to bear fruit.”' Jeremiah 17:7-8 


Ah OK, so in answer to being a good friend? Be a good person. With my roots in goodness, my fruit will be good. With my life following God, my friendships, my relationships, even my writing. It will be good. With God on side, how could I fail? He's the best team captain you ever need.

If you like blogs, and like Jesus, read these blogs. They're great!   

No comments:

Post a Comment